Saturday, August 14, 2010
Stanford University could have been in Fremont?
The Lake at Warm Springs, Mission Peak in background c.1880
Warm Springs Resort and Spa, featuring hot springs of mineral water was established in the early 1850s by French pioneer, Clemente Columbet. At its peak it accommodated up to 200 people and offered recreational activities including boating on its artificial lake, gambling and hunting. A “Hospital” provided private bathing in its warm medicinal waters. The Resort flourished until the 1868 earthquake, after which it was acquired by Leland Stanford for his winery, which operated there until 1923.
not far from the future plant of the Tesla Motor Company
From Exhibit at Oakland Federal Building for US District Courts
this image hand-tinted © Bennett Hall
Source file: Oakland Public Libary
reference from Wiki
Warm Springs is located on Rancho Agua Caliente and is so named for the springs that are located there. In early times, there was a settlement called Harrisburgh (also, Harrisburg and Peacock's) a short distance east from the small settlement of Warm Springs. A post office opened in Harrisburgh in 1865 and changed its name to Warm Springs in 1885. The name Harrisburgh commemorated Abram Harris, who settled there in 1858. The name Peacock's commemorated George W. Peacock, its first postmaster. The post office name changed to Warmsprings in 1895 and reverted to Warm Springs in 1950.